xmlns:og='http://ogp.me/ns#' Yeah. Good Times.: If it's the beaches

Friday, December 2, 2011

If it's the beaches

When I first started this blog I would pose some philosophical questions that I had been pondering, and then I would have a discussion about it with the two people who were reading me, except those two people were people I was talking to all the time, anyway, so posing the question here and then discussing it with my friends was kind of a useless endeavor.

NOW, however, there are at LEAST two more of you who will read this, so maybe I can have a longer and more in depth discussion about it. So let's try it again!! YAY!!!

Okay. Below is a video and lyrics to an Avett Brothers song called If It's the Beaches, and here is my question: A big theme in Avett Brothers' lyrics seems to be the concept of "rearrange my plans and change for you," which is a line in this song, and it got me thinking: is that the ultimate love song a man can sing for a woman, that they will change who they are to stay together? Is that what women want men to tell them? Is that what men think they have to do to keep a relationship together?

Thoughts? I went with the studio version of the song because it was the one that was easiest to hear. Don't actually look at the video, just listen to the song and read the lyrics that are below....





If It's the Beaches

Don't say it's over
Cause that's the worst news I could hear I swear that I will
Do my best to be here just the way you like it
Even though its hard to hide
Push my feelings all aside
I will rearrange my plans and change for you

If I could go back
That's the first thing I would do I swear that I would
Do my best to follow through
Come up with a master plan
A homerun hit, a winning stand
A guarantee and not a promise
That I'll never let your love slip from my hands

If it's the beaches
If it's the beaches' sands you want
Then you will have them
If it's the mountains' bending rivers
Then you will have them
If it's the wish to run away
Then I will grant it
Take whatever what you think of
While I go gas up the truck
Pack the old love letters up
We will read them when we forget why we left here

Edit: I changed the wording of this post a little because I didn't think I said it right the first time.