xmlns:og='http://ogp.me/ns#' Yeah. Good Times.: The Dive Bar Welcomes: Amber

Saturday, October 22, 2011

The Dive Bar Welcomes: Amber

Hi Amber! Amber is unladylike, and she displays unladylike behavior... is all I'm saying. What? Is that vague? WHATEVER.




There’s a song on the radio at the moment that talks about a man, laid off from his last job, looking for work.

I got a strong back, steel toes
I rarely call in sick, a good truck
What I don't know I catch on real quick
I work weekends, if I have to, nights and holidays

I work sunup to sundown
Ain't too proud to sweep the floors
The bank has started callin'
And the wolves are at my door

Perhaps I’m cynical. Perhaps I’m jaded. Whatever the case, when this song comes on I can’t help but feel… angry. I realize that most people’s hearts felt a tug when they read the lyrics, but not me.

The thing is, I work in recruiting. When I tell people that I tend to get the same response:

“Oh, there’s a lot of good people looking for jobs right now.”
“So many hard workers are willing to do anything to get their foot in the door.”
“I bet you have people lining up for a job!”

True, there is no lack of candidates. But good candidates? Few and far between. People don’t want to work hard; they don’t want to work weekends; they don’t want to sweep the floors. What they want is a handout. A good paying job where they can sit and do… nothing.

Right, cynical. Jaded. But I’ve seen it too many times. And people will tell you that they want nights, weekends, whatever you’re offering… and as soon as they start that first day, everything changes.

What’s to blame? Unemployment, for one. A person gets laid off, applies for unemployment, and suddenly they can sit at home and collect a check. It’s only a little less than and entry level job pays, so why put in the effort when you can get it for free? Don’t get me wrong – I know there are people out there who will work long, hard hours – people like the one in the song. I’ve seen them; I’ve hired them. But when push comes to shove and you have a choice of a back-breaking day of work or a check from Uncle Sam, most people choose the latter.

So, where are the people with strong backs, steel toes? Where are the people who rarely call in sick? Nights and weekends? You don’t see too many people jumping at that job offer. And if you are… give me a call.