xmlns:og='http://ogp.me/ns#' Yeah. Good Times.: It's good to have friends you can trust

Monday, October 24, 2011

It's good to have friends you can trust

The other day I arrived at Child 2's friend's house to drop him off for a pre-arranged playdate so that I could go to work. C2's buddy is his BFF from preschool and his mom and I have become good friends over the years.

We arrived at their house at 11:30 and I had to be at work at 12:00. The front door was wide open so we just walked in and wandered all over their (large) house looking for somebody. We eventually found the kids in the back room playing Wii.

"Hey, guys, where's your mom?" I asked.

They were way too wrapped up in Legend of Zelda to be able to take any time to answer my question with anything other than "Idunno" so I sat down on the couch with Child 2 and waited.

And waited.

And waited some more.

Since we had walked around the house when we first got there, I assumed she was in the bathroom and I didn't want to go and find her. Nobody likes to be interrupted when they're in the bathroom AmIRight?????

At 5 minutes to 12:00 I had no choice but to just get up and leave. I made her boys look at me while I told them to tell their mom to call me (they didn't, though) and I just left, leaving Child 2 there. I knew she was somewhere in the house and I felt perfectly fine leaving him with his buddies playing Wii.

After work I stopped by on my way home just to make sure it was okay with her that I'd just left him there. It was, of course, and we both thought it was funny and cool at the same time that we had enough trust in each other that I could have just left my kid in her living room without really knowing where she was.

But the best part of this story? It turned out that she hadn't been in the bathroom, after all.

She was upstairs in her bedroom.... reading my blog.