xmlns:og='http://ogp.me/ns#' Yeah. Good Times.: MY EARS HAVE BEEN SOILED and Song of the Day

Thursday, February 10, 2011

MY EARS HAVE BEEN SOILED and Song of the Day

This has been making me crazy lately and I was thinking "if only I had some kind of, oh, I don't know... outlet... in which to air my grievances about things that make me crazy. I could, say, write... about the things that were bugging me and it would be very cathartic and people would agree with me and afterward I would feel so much better." Oh, well, since I don't have any place like that, I guess I'll just say it here. Maybe some day we will live in a Utopian-like world where such a place might exist. But not today....

Christ, sometimes I have no fucking idea what I'm talking about; I don't know how you guys can even follow along. Anyhoozle.... this has been making me crazy lately. It's the new radio version of Little Lion Man by Mumford and Sons. I'm not even going to bother finding a link to it; it's that offensive.

I'm sure most of you know this song; if not, it's below as my Song of the Day. You know the important line "I really fucked it up this time" always gets bleeped out of the radio version. I'm actually perfectly fine with that kind of censorship, particularly when I started listening to the non-bleeped version and one day Child 1 started singing along "but it was not your fault but mine, and it was your heart on the line..." and then I started yelling "OH GOD OH GOD STOP SINGING PLEASE STOP SINGING I DON'T WANT TO KNOW IF YOU KNOW THE NEXT LINE...." I'm happy for the edited radio version. Plus, if a radio station ever actually plays a curse word they get this outrageously ginormous fine by whichever organization monitors that kind of thing. (I heard that once when somebody was complaining that by bleeping out the "fuck" in Alanis Morissette's You Oughta Know, you're stifling her as an artist and as an empowered woman and stations really need to play the uncensored version of that song in order to fully embrace her power or some such shit.)

Okay, so I'm fine when the line is "I really ____ed it up this time," but what I've been hearing lately, but only on the wussiest of radio stations, is that they have a NEW version where the line has been ALTERED to be "I really messed it up this time" and HOLY SHIT I CAN'T STAND IT. I CAN'T FUCKING STAND IT. I can't listen to that, it makes me ABSOLUTELY CRAZY, changing the lyric like that. I would rather hear a blaring siren in place of the word "fuck" than to have it changed like that. Is the silencing too obvious? Well, yes, we all knew they were cutting out the word "fuck" there, but that still isn't acceptable to the, uh... FCC? You have to put a NEW word in its place? I CAN'T STAND IT. I LOVE that song but I absolutely cannot listen to this version of it. It's like nails on a chalkboard to me. Yes, one little word change has that kind of effect on me. Hey, I never said I wasn't completely insane..... And yet you keep coming back for more... you have no one to blame but yourselves... and, also me....

And on that note, I give you... the blissfully uncut version. I'm sure this has been my Song of the Day once before but I don't have a search function here to actually confirm that, so... fuck it. Enjoy!