xmlns:og='http://ogp.me/ns#' Yeah. Good Times.: Dear Moby aka @thelittleidiot: I'm sorry

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Dear Moby aka @thelittleidiot: I'm sorry

The internet is a freaky place, I'll tell you that. My post the other day about Moby actually attracted his attention and he wrote to me. The email address was moby.com and I was able to verify through his IP address and things he said in his twitter stream that it actually was him. We had a conversation and I would now like to clarify:

He actually does have Asperger's. The quote from him in the NY Times article was taken out of context but even so, he was making a joke in the way @stoopmama theorized. So, my bloggy and twitter buddies, we owe Moby a big apology: starting with me. We've been hating on him all week, thinking that he was this callous asshole, but the truth is that he's actually an incredibly nice person and we were maligning him unnecessarily. Just the fact that he would actually take the time to write to me in order to clarify, I think, speaks volumes about his character. He's a good guy, and I'm the one who's been an asshole.

Moby, I am sorry. I really am. I assumed that you were being a celebrity and jumping onto the latest trend, and I was very wrong. How you deal with your Aspgerger's and how you choose to make light of it, or not, is absolutely nobody's business except your own. I'm sorry that my words, based on my misinterpretation of yours, caused you any pain or hardship. It can't be fun to be a celebrity, at the mercy of the media and the internet, getting hate mail and hate tweets, particularly about something that isn't true.

At your request, I have done some research and found that you are, in fact, quite active in fundraising for autism and autism awareness, in particular Comedy Central's Night of Too Many Stars.

You asked me not to post our emails, and I won't, except to quote you on one thing that you said:

"all i can say is that you shouldn't judge strangers, especially in public, especially out of context, and especially without knowing the facts."

You're right. You're absolutely right. I did this, and I was wrong. And I'm very sorry.

I still don't like your music, though... ;)