xmlns:og='http://ogp.me/ns#' Yeah. Good Times.: The double burden of being a Jewish Bookkeeper

Monday, June 7, 2010

The double burden of being a Jewish Bookkeeper

The worry; Jews have cornered the market on the worry. Not only is it my responsibility to make sure the books are in order and the money is flowing properly, but when the money doesn't flow IN properly, then I take that worry home with me.

I'm very picky about who my clients are (probably why I only have 5 clients). I won't work for anybody who isn't cool; I use my instincts as my guide and I'm always right. If I ever don't trust my instincts I will always come to regret it later. As a result, I have a bunch of really, really cool clients whom I adore and care about. But when business is bad I worry for them. I've been checking the bank balance of one of my clients a lot lately, even though I'm not on the clock, and I'm worried about what's going to happen. Not because I'm worried about losing a client, but because it would really suck for her if things didn't work out. Because she's so cool.

So, there you have it. My double burden. Anybody need a bookkeeper? The worrying is free, but I charge for all the rest.