xmlns:og='http://ogp.me/ns#' Yeah. Good Times.: Thank You #VOTY

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Thank You #VOTY

Yesterday I found out that I won kind of an award. In the world of blogging I think it's kind of a good one, in my mind it's definitely something to be proud of. In BlogHer's Voices of the Year, I won the People's Choice Award in the category Heart.

It was for a post I wrote a few months back about bullying. Regular readers will know that Child 1 is headed off to Middle School next year and I'm having a bit of a freak out about it. So I wrote a post asking parents of typical kids to have a talk with their children about mine. About how he is different, but that's okay.

I nominated myself for VOTY mainly because I wanted to get the information in that post out as far and as wide as possible. What's the point in writing something to a general audience if nobody will see it, right? I submitted my nomination in April, I think, and then the voting period closed and I thought that was the end of it, but it clearly wasn't. Apparently it takes a while for the judges to read 2600 submissions!

But yesterday they told me I won the People's Choice Award. That means, I think, that my post got the most votes in my category. And I didn't even ask for votes, really. I posted on Facebook a few times, but it wasn't like I was on a campaign. I just... won it. I can't even believe it. I've never won anything before, and for a post that means so so much to me? I want to cry from the magnitude of this.

I haven't been blogging much lately, in case you've noticed. The reason is the same as the reason I posted about back in December.  But now that I'm a motherfucking People's Choice Award winner? Maybe that will inspire me to try harder.

But, really, this post is just to say thank you. Thank you for voting for me! Thank you for picking me as the winner in this category. Thank you for reading that post and for helping me spread the word. Thank you for reading this blog, at all. Thank you for encouraging me. Thank you for your comments and messages. Thank you for loving and supporting my kids along with me. Thank you for loving and supporting me.


Edit: Forgot to mention that I won't actually be attending BlogHer. I hadn't thought about it before and now it's too late to get any affordable airfare or a hotel room. Next year, though!